Friday, October 19, 2012

Learn to Paint–Lesson 5 Five Petal Easy Flowers

This is lesson #5 in the Learn to Paint series.  To easily find the other lessons click the link in the menu bar above. 

I added some blue 5 petal easy flowers to the bench.  The overall design is coming together. 

 I had to shove the bench up under the side porch roof as we were getting some rain and this bench has yet to receive its protective coating of exterior varathane.  It is merely plywood so it is imperative it gets a good few coats before facing wet weather! It won’t fit in the studio at all.

DSC_0019

I am going to demonstrate a few different types of 5 petal flowers. 

One easy one is done with a filbert brush, in this demo I used a number 8. You load the brush with paint, press, drag downward and lift twisting the brush to an edge.

DSC_0009

I build my little man (more in the video in this post), the first stroke is his head, then the arms on either side…

DSC_0010

then his legs.

easyflowers 003

To make them in clumps, I stack the darker flowers to the back and add some white or a lighter shade of original color and come forward.

DSC_0011

DSC_0013

You add these little clusters where you think the design calls for some filler.  Don’t forget to add the little dot centers.

DSC_0018

This video is 5 minutes long but it shows you several versions of 5 petal flowers.  I shall post photos of a step by step of what I call the geranium flower tomorrow, if I included it today it would make this post way to photo saturated. 

The demo of it is included in this video.

Just skip the ad once it tells you it can.  It is only 15 seconds. 

A few versions of 5 petal flowers

I am still working on speaking at the correct volume and ignore the loud tapping of my brush as I clean it.  Smile  It can be annoying, at least it was for me as I reviewed the video.

I have two good rose painting videos I will post soon as well.  I know that is one everyone wants to learn.

Let me know if these help you.  After we do the basics of flowers I want to move on to fruit and veggies.

 signaturePamela
Come visit me in my studio! And see how we built it. 



Funky Junk's Sat Nite SpecialFurniture Feature FridaysMy Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

10 comments:

  1. The bench looks lovely!
    Beautiful flowers and I love your studio too!
    Happy Pink Saturday, Pamela
    xo Tami

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such great talent and use it very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. woow.you have a great talent....just wonderful :)
    and do not miss.....

    S
    A
    T
    U
    R
    D
    A
    Y

    S
    H
    O
    W

    O
    F
    F

    it is FUN :)
    WELCOME
    Håkan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I have that talent.

    Healthy Pink Snacks
    Have an enjoyable Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for the tutorial! I am visiting from Homemaker on a Dime, and am now a follower on GF! Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooo cute! I love it! I have a craft party going on if you would like to be a part of. :)
    http://sewliciousdecor.wordpress.com/2012/10/21/show-licious-sunday-craft-showcase-2.

    xoxo, Marti

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for these! I'm still not confident I can do these...but I definitely plan to give it a shot! :)

    Blessings,
    Mrs. Sarah Coller

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Maybe I could actually paint something like this. Saw your post on Gunny Sack Link Party #60.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for this demo. I'm going to mark your website and come back for more lessons. Several years ago I bought a book, brushes, and paint to try to learn to paint but got discouraged. I've held onto my supplies though because I really want to learn this. I'm going to pull them out again and try these flowers. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...